Vocational Sixth Form in Acting
READ College – 2 Year Vocational Sixth Form in Acting
Our Acting Sixth Form Course at READ College has an industry-leading success rate for graduates gaining places at top Drama Schools in London and across the UK, with graduates now studying at accredited vocational schools. Along with our 10 years experience of running foundation-level training and our high academic and artistic standards, READ College is the UK’s leading Vocational Sixth Form for aspiring Actors! Read on to find out more OR CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW.
Course Content – Vocational Sixth Form in Acting at READ College
Our Vocational Sixth Form in Acting is unique in its approach, with a very high practical and vocational element being supported by A-Level equivalent qualifications. Students are on their feet performing throughout the day and are supported by staff through study periods with their written project work. Our personal approach is what makes READ the UK’s leading centre for Foundation Courses in the Performing Arts.
Class sizes are small, and we take a maximum of 10 students each year on our Vocational Sixth Form in Acting to make sure that we are able to work with each student individually and support them through their training. During an average week across 2 years at READ College, Acting Sixth Form students will take part in the following classes:
- Acting – Improvisation, British Theatre, Brecht, Stanislavsky, American Drama, Classical Theatre, Restoration, Audition Repertoire, Acting Styles
- Vocal – Speech & Verse, Vocal Technique, Ensemble Singing, Private Singing (during audition season)
- Physical – Physical Theatre, Body Conditioning, Dance (Tap/Ballet)
- Additional Weekly Classes – Audition Preparation, Performance Class, Study Classes, Arts Administration
- Student Support – Students also have access to support services including our Osteopath, Massage Therapist, Chaplain, Counsellor, and Vocal Health Specialist
Alongside these weekly classes, we have regular guest workshops and masterclasses in 2nd year with most of the major degree-level Drama Schools and Colleges, some of whom even come and run auditions here at READ to hand pick our students for their courses! Our Sixth Form in Acting is accredited by OCR and students study towards the Cambridge Extended Technical Diploma in Acting, which is equivalent to 3 A-Levels and can be used through UCAS to apply for university places should students decide not to go on to further drama training. The qualification is assessed in modular units with some external exams taken during the 2 year course.
Read on to see our graduate destinations and details of how to fund your course at READ…
Much of the OCR qualification work is undertaken in the 1st year of our Sixth Form in Acting, with 2nd year focussing on auditions for Drama School. We guide our students through the Drama School audition process from start to finish, including helping them with UCAS, personal statements, headshots, when to apply, where to apply, managing audition repertoire, etc, etc.
READ College is also proud to have exceptional pastoral care, with physical and emotional health being top priorities in looking after our young performers in training. As well as a specialist Performing Arts Osteopath and Vocal Health Coach available for the students, we are part of the #Time4Change Charter, supporting mental health awareness in the Performing Arts. We provide free access to our college chaplain and qualified young people’s counsellor for students every week.
Our most recent graduates from the Sixth Form Course in Acting here at READ College have been offered places at schools including Arts Educational and Mountview Academy.
- Click HERE to visit our alumni page and see the full list of our graduate destinations from our Sixth Form in Acting!
APPLY NOW FOR THE UK’S LEADING VOCATIONAL SIXTH FORM IN ACTING BY CLICKING HERE!
Fees and Funding
Here at READ College, we believe very strongly that a career in the Performing Arts should be open to anyone who has the dedication and determination to make it, regardless of financial circumstances. That is why we are a registered charity with no owner, director or shareholders making money from your training – our Board of Trustees are all volunteers. You can find out about our charitable work by clicking HERE.
The full cost of our Vocational Sixth Form in Acting for 2018 entry is £7425 per year, however bursary support from our Student Hardship Fund can reduce the fees anywhere down to £3712.50 per year, and we provide support to students who are seeking additional funding by helping them to find grants and sponsorship, and assisting them with their funding applications.
Bursaries from READ College are means-tested and are provided on a sliding scale, based on household income, savings levels and also any extenuating circumstances that have led to a student being unable to afford training. Once a student has been offered a place at audition, they will be sent a bursary application form to fill in and complete before having to enrol.
Read on to find out about our teaching faculty…
At the present time, there is no government funding or student loan that will cover Foundation Training. However, for students who are not eligible for support from our Student Hardship Fund, or those who have been awarded a bursary by READ College but cannot afford the balance of the fees, we provide a full support and advice service to help you find additional grants and sponsorship. If you would like advice on funding your course, please CLICK HERE to contact us.
We are extremely proud of the expert teaching faculty at READ College on our Vocational Sixth Form in Acting. All of our staff are experienced industry professionals with many years of vocational teaching experience alongside impressive performing careers.
You can find out who teaches on our Acting Sixth Form at READ College by visiting our Teaching Faculty page and see why we’re the leading Performing Arts Foundation College in the UK!
Performances with our Sixth Form in Acting
Students on our Sixth Form Acting Course have several performance opportunities during their year with us. These include:
- Assessed Performances, where outside audiences are invited in to our Theatre to watch your examinations in action
- Improv Night, with students working as a professional improv troupe to help raise funds for our Student Hardship Fund
- Platform Performance (2nd year), a devised comedy show created by the students in just 3 weeks from scratch with a sold-out venue waiting for them!
- Showcase (2nd year), which takes the form of an existing play directed by a professional guest Director working in the theatre industry, and with representatives of major UK Drama Schools invited to see our students at work
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked question by prospective students. Feel free to get in touch if you need to ask anything else!
- How old do I have to be? The minimum age for entrance to our Sixth Form in Acting is 16, and there is no official upper limit. For students who are 18 or over and have A-Level or equivalent qualifications, we recommend our 1 Year Foundation Course in Acting which gives you the chance to gain experience and training post A-Level
- What qualifications do I need? There is no academic requirement for training at READ on our Sixth Form in Acting, although you will be expected to work at a high level (with full support) towards your OCR qualification. Admission to READ is by audition, and so it is what you present on the day that counts! You can find out more about our audition process here.
- Do I need drama exams or GCSE to audition? No. They are a useful way of us gauging your experience prior to audition but once again, it is all about what you present at audition!
- When are your auditions? We audition every month from January to June. Just fill in our online application form and we will get in touch to arrange an audition date with you.
- Can I apply from oversees? We are able to accept applications from students with British passports or within the EU, who are able to study without a visa. At the present time we are not able to provide student visas for those elsewhere in the world.
Want to find out more?
You can use our contact form to get in touch with us to ask any questions that you might have, and we will always be happy to help!
If you’re considering auditioning for our Sixth Form in Acting, then take a look at our “What to Expect at and Audition” page, which will tell you all about your day. You might also like to check out our “Location and Accommodation” page to see where we are and how to find us.
Got all the info that you need? Then go ahead and APPLY NOW for our Vocational Sixth Form in Acting!