1 Year Foundation Course in Acting
READ College – Foundation Course in Acting
Our Acting Foundation Course at READ College has an industry-leading success rate for graduates gaining places at top Drama Schools in London and across the UK – 100% in 2017! Along with our 100% Distinction rate for Diploma Exams and our 10 years experience, READ College is the UK’s leading provider of Acting Foundation Courses! Download our Read Prospectus – 2018 to find out more OR CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW.
Course Content – Foundation Course in Acting at READ College
Our Foundation Course in Acting takes students from all backgrounds and walks of life, and gives them the experience and confidence to succeed. Our personal approach is what makes READ the UK’s leading centre for Foundation Courses in the Performing Arts.
Class sizes are small, and we take a maximum of 15 students on our Foundation Course in Acting to make sure that we are able to work with each student individually and support them through their training. During an average week at READ College, Acting Foundation students will take part in the following classes:
- Acting – Improvisation, British Theatre, Brecht, Stanislavsky, American Drama, Classical Theatre, Restoration, Audition Repertoire
- Vocal – Speech & Verse, Vocal Technique, Ensemble Singing, Private Singing (during audition season)
- Physical – Physical Theatre, Body Conditioning, Dance (Tap/Ballet)
- Additional Weekly Classes – Audition Preparation, Performance Class
- Student Support – Students also have access to support services including our Osteopath, Massage Therapist, Chaplain, Counsellor, and Vocal Health Specialist
Alongside these weekly classes, we have regular guest workshops and masterclasses with most of the major degree-level Drama Schools and Colleges, some of whom even come and run auditions here at READ to hand pick our students for their courses! Students graduate from our Foundation Course in Acting with the ATCL Level 4 Diploma in Performing (Speech & Drama), awarded by Trinity College London and equivalent to first year degree studies.
Read on to see our graduate destinations and details of how to fund your course at READ…
We guide our students through the Drama School audition process from start to finish, including helping them with UCAS, personal statements, headshots, when to apply, where to apply, managing audition repertoire, etc, etc.
READ College is also proud to have exceptional pastoral care, with physical and emotional health being top priorities in looking after our young performers in training. As well as a specialist Performing Arts Osteopath and Vocal Health Coach available for the students, we are part of the #Time4Change Charter, supporting mental health awareness in the Performing Arts. We provide free access to our college chaplain and qualified young people’s counsellor for students every week.
Our most recent graduates from the Foundation Course in Acting here at READ College have been offered places at:
- RADA, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Royal Scottish Conservatoire, East 15, Mountview, Fourth Monkey, The Bridge, PPA, ALRA and many more…
- Click HERE to visit our alumni page and see the full list of our graduate destinations from our Acting Foundation Course!
APPLY NOW FOR THE UK’S LEADING FOUNDATION COURSE IN ACTING BY CLICKING HERE!
Fees and Funding
Here at READ College, we believe very strongly that a career in the Performing Arts should be open to anyone who has the dedication and determination to make it, regardless of financial circumstances. That is why we are a registered charity with no owner, director or shareholders making money from your training – our Board of Trustees are all volunteers. You can find out about our charitable work by clicking HERE.
The full cost of our Foundation Course in Acting for 2018 entry is £7575, however bursary support from our Student Hardship Fund can reduce the fees anywhere down to £3787.50 and we provide support to students who are seeking additional funding by helping them to find grants and sponsorship, and assisting them with their funding applications.
Bursaries from READ College are means-tested and are provided on a sliding scale, based on household income, savings levels and also any extenuating circumstances that have led to a student being unable to afford training. Once a student has been offered a place at audition, they will be sent a bursary application form to fill in and complete before having to enrol.
Read on for details of our Stage Scholarship and to find out about our teachers…
At the present time, there is no government funding or student loan that will cover Foundation Training. However, for students who are not eligible for support from our Student Hardship Fund, or those who have been awarded a bursary by READ College but cannot afford the balance of the fees, we provide a full support and advice service to help you find additional grants and sponsorship. If you would like advice on funding your course, please CLICK HERE to contact us.
We also award a full Scholarship through The Stage Scholarship scheme, and our scholarship audition is conducted in May every year, giving students already accepted onto our Foundation Course in Acting the chance to win a fully-funded place. This scholarship is not means tested but is based on the performance given at the audition. Details of the Stage Scholarship are released in January each year so check back for more details…
We are extremely proud of the expert teaching faculty at READ College on our Acting Foundation Course. All of our staff are experienced industry professionals with many years of vocational teaching experience alongside impressive performing careers.
You can find out who teaches on our Acting Foundation Course at READ College by visiting our Teaching Faculty page and see why we’re the leading Performing Arts Foundation College in the UK!
Performances with our Foundation Course in Acting
Students on our Acting Foundation Course have several performance opportunities during their year with us. These include:
- Improv Night, with students working as a professional improv troupe to help raise funds for our Student Hardship Fund
- Platform Performance, a devised comedy show created by the students in just 3 weeks from scratch with a sold-out venue waiting for them!
- Showcase, which takes the form of an existing play directed by a professional guest Director working in the theatre industry, and with representatives of major UK Drama Schools invited to see our students at work
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked question by prospective students. Feel free to get in touch if you need to ask anything else!
- How old do I have to be? The average age of students on our Foundation Course in Acting is 18-24, but there is no official limit. For students who are 16/17 or have not completed AS-levels or A-level/equivalent we recommend our 2 Year Vocational Sixth Form in Acting which gives you the chance to gain experience and qualifications equal to 3 A-Levels.
- What qualifications do I need? There is no academic requirement for training at READ on our Foundation Course in Acting, although it is worth thinking about the possible degree-level courses that you may go on to afterwards. Admission to READ is by audition, and so it is what you present on the day that counts! You can find out more about our audition process here.
- Do I need drama exams or A-levels to audition? No. They are a useful way of us gauging your experience prior to audition but once again, it is all about what you present at audition!
- When are your auditions? We audition every month from January to June. Just fill in our online application form and we will get in touch to arrange an audition date with you.
- Can I apply from oversees? We are able to accept applications from students with British passports or within the EU, who are able to study without a visa. At the present time we are not able to provide student visas for those elsewhere in the world.
Want to find out more?
You can use our contact form to get in touch with us to ask any questions that you might have, and we will always be happy to help!
If you’re considering auditioning for our Foundation Course in Acting, then take a look at our “What to Expect at and Audition” page, which will tell you all about your day. You might also like to check out our “Location and Accommodation” page to see where we are and how to find us.
Got all the info that you need? Then go ahead and APPLY NOW for our Foundation Course in Acting!